Friday, April 22, 2011

Lost Levels

Part of my weekly routine involves a number of trips to local game stores and other oddball thrift stores hunting down old or collectible games. They are always hit or miss situation but every now and there a nice gem pops up. I'm hoping to share these finds with the internets as I find them, probably every couple of months as I amass enough that's worth sharing. 

One of the best places in the northeast, particularly in Massachusetts, for used games in Newbury Comics. You really have to know which locations carry a decent selection of games as each one is a little different. They recently had a 30th anniversary sale that knocked 30% everything in stores, so I knew I had to hit up my closest location for some scrounging. Sure, I managed to find some nice older collector's editions:

  • Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Collector's Edition - I've been eyeing up copies of this in Gamestops for years, but the case has been dented, and the outer sleeve cracked if it's even included. Overall it's never been worth the price. I don't know who traded this in at Newbury Comics, but beyond having both discs in pristine condition and a perfect outer case, the original collectible art book was included. Finding all extra materials in a used game like this, even for a recent game, is quite the treat.




  • Mortal Kombat Deception: Kollector's Edition - It's the less rare Mileena cover, but cover and inserts were all immaculate and both the game and bonus disc were pretty flawless. The only downside was the missing "kollectible" metal card but there's always eBay for that.

 


Less exciting but still cool nonetheless was my recent trip with my wife (aka "the misses") to a thrift store in Allston, MA (Urban Renewals for you local folks). Usually not the best place for used games, but last weekend they had a decent stock of SNES games in varying condition. Luckily, I was able to grab a copy of NBA Jam and Super Adventure Island for $3 ea. A little bit of cleaning at home and it was classic gaming at its finest.

That's the bulk of the good stuff, minus a few older PS2 games (Gamestop's B2G2 is good stuff). It will probably be a little while before I write up another one of these, but I'll try to make it worth it.


0 comments:

Post a Comment