Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Attention Deficit Gamer - Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga

Welcome to the first-ever Attention Deficit Gamer review. This is going to be a bit of an experiment (just like the rest of the blog) wherein I review games and demos, and sum it up as quickly as possible. Usually, it will be due to the fact that I got bored and walked away within 5-10 minutes, distracted by something mildly amusing.


First up is the Xbox Live demo for Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga. Technically I only played the "remastered" Ego Draconis half of the demo, originally released a few months ago. It never really caught my eye, but it was a pretty dull Saturday and I needed something to try early in the morning. Sufficed to say I never made it to the expansion demo, Flames of Vengeance. I'm assuming it's more of the some, but expansionier.


Here we go:
  • Demo loads up fairly quick, always a good sign.
  • Oh great, opening cutscenes I can't skip. Urge to play, fading.
  • Alright, someone's talking to me, but all I'm hearing is "blah, blah, dragons, blah blah".
  • My first mission is to talk with everyone in town. How is this a required mission? If you've ever successfully beaten an RPG without talking to every NPC you meet, you're cheating. Knock it off.
  • Fast forward 3 minutes and all I've done is punt every last chicken and rabbit I've come across, and almost accrued enough experience points to hit level 2. Somehow booting small farm animals equates to dragon-killing skill (or taming, or whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing).
  • Now I have Eyeshine.
    Eyeshine
    Universal Pictures 2000, all rights reserved
  • I've played the sword combat training twice, fought over a dozen goblins, and still haven't caught up to my chicken-kicking experience. 
And like that I hear my wife say something about getting ready to go. Not really sure where, but it doesn't involve playing this travesty. I was pretty sure I saw a save option for the demo, but hitting "A" twice in succession is much more effort that I can afford. 

Total Play Time: 8-10 minutes, but I really lost track after the ninth chicken.

0 comments:

Post a Comment