Monday, October 24, 2011

David and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Days (in New York) Chapter 2

Ok, enough with the long title nonsense. I hate NYC, Nintendo World Store is awesome, and I bought some scratched Star Fox dog tags. If you didn't read about it earlier do so, because the next sentence won't make a lick of sense.

I owe my wife big time.


Returning to New York a week after buying the dog tags, my wife and I were in town for the New York Comic Con. I'm pretty sure we (or at least I) have attended every year of the con since it started, and this was our second time in costume. Two years ago we went as Domino and Weapon X Deadpool, this year as Rogue and Gambit. We had a blast getting our picture taken by a ton of con-goers and got to pose with a bunch of other cosplayers. As dorky as it sounds it was the most fun we've had at a convention in a long time.
Nothing beats pretending to take down a helicopter with Wolverine.

I've been waiting for this moment since I was 10.

There was a pretty heavy duty video game presence at the show, if the Prototype 2 helicopter wasn't evidence enough. Nintendo, Ubisoft, Rockstar, Capcom and couple of other big names I'm blanking on. A solid chunk of the day for us was spent checking out demos, game trailers, and the like. For a show about comic books, we really spent most of the weekend trying out new games. 

Pictured: Not comics.

Eventually we were wiped out from the constant picture taking and running across the massive convention hall. It was a crazy busy day, and we ended up crashing once or twice to take a breather. We were exhausted, but it was totally worth it no matter how silly we may have looked (well, at least one of us).


After a full day of jumping at helicopters, we split up for Sunday. The plan from the start was to spend all day Saturday in costume and see the sights, and Sunday I would round out the weekend catching up on anything else I missed. Now the wifey doesn't dig comics enough to want to spend two full days, so she went shopping with her mom. Needless to say, I was not missed on Sunday.


Don't worry, I had company.

While she was out gallivanting, my wife was able to stop back at the Nintendo Store and swap out the scratched tags with the flawless ones you see in the prior post. I can't thank her enough for running uptown about 10 blocks, and letting me soak in the video game goodness present at the con.

Look how much she loves me.
(Courtesy Buzzfeed)

Knowing my dog tags were secured I was finally able to enjoy some demos. Most of my time was spent around the Nintendo both, fingers clutched to a 3DS at any given time. Super Mario Land 3D, Mario Kart 7, Pokemon Rumble Blast, Shinobi, and Sonic Generations. I could take all day describing my time with the games, but they really can all be summed up easily (with the exception of Pokemon): beautiful and fun. These handheld games have some amazing graphics, stellar 3D effects, and tight gameplay. This is going to be a busy holiday season. And I hadn't even played The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword yet.

 You really don't notice the banner, anyway.

The line for Zelda was the oddest experience I had all weekend. I waited patiently and watch four different people all watch and play the same boss fight sequence over and over. It was tricky but easy enough to figure out how to beat it rather quickly. Yet turn after turn I watched the next player run through the same sequence, and ignore the stage select option. My choice? The dungeon of course. Instead of a four minute sword fight I took my sweet time exploring a portion of an early dungeon, testing out the controls for the different items and the sword controls for multiple enemies. Eventually I passed the controller (when I got lost) onto a young kid dressed as Link who was literally jumping at a chance to play. His face lit up brighter than the Triforce.

I should probably cut out at this point. There are plenty of full previews and stories about NYCC online, and I'm not going to bore you with the same details. I saw most of it and it was awesome. It's tiring just thinking about weekend again. Back to normal now, I can get back to posting regularly. And stay tuned for some news in the coming weeks. I'll be teasing some changes shortly.

Thanks for reading!

0 comments:

Post a Comment