Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lost Levels IV - I Ran Out of Clever Names Edition

Hey folks, I'm back with more recent finds from local shops. Nothing too fancy, just a bit of nostalgic gaming.  Although I don't know how much fun these games are considering I have yet to pick up an old Sega Genesis or 32X add-on for that matter. Maybe I should stick to classic Saturn games until then. Check out the pics after the jump.


First up are a couple of Genesis games from a used bookstore chain up in New Hampshire. There are a couple locations in Massachusetts as well, though the NH site has had a much more diverse selection in terms of gaming. In addition to a few old PC titles and original PSone games, I spotted these classics in the bin. Both are in fairly nice condition with only a missing poster or manual.


I played most of the 90's era X-Men console games and while some are fairly decent, others rank as the worst games ever. Of course, there's always the amazing X-Men Arcade Game.

Totally worth dropping $6.50 in quarters for these 10 seconds.

So even though I can't recall the Genesis version and haven't had the chance to tackle it yet, it looks like an okay sidescrolling beat 'em-up according to videos online. Although based on the back cover of the game, it's up to me to defeat Magneto using only "Wolverine's adamantium claws and Gambit's energy charged playing cards". Only those two. Apparently Cyclops and which ever other mutants are playable in the game end up dead, because they aren't available options. Only Wolverine and Gambit. 

Which is fine, Cyclops sucks anyway.

Chances of me playing the next game are about as slim as Bill Clinton and the Fresh Prince taking on the Chicago Bulls in a real basketball game. Mainly due to the lack of a need for a terrible, terrible peripheral like the 32X.

The fact that this is a used/played game is astounding.

Again, not a game I'm in any rush to play except for the sake of comparing to every other version NBA Jam has to offer. Will it hold up to the traditional SNES Tournament Edition? The back cover claims "bigger players and better graphics" so it must be the ultimate in arcade basketball action!

Or not.

Moving away from recent purchases I was also fortunate to find these gems back at my parent's house. I keep telling mom I'll take stuff home and eventually clean out the basement. I think she was hoping I'd take more than just a game guide.


I can't even begin to discuss how frequently my brother and I flipped through the pages of the Final Fantasy guide from Nintendo Power, scouring every map and chart for tips and tricks. The condition of this classic tome is nothing short of amazing considering the number of times it's been opened and closed during the course of our childhoods.


And if that wasn't even nostalgia for one trip, I dug these out of an old journal tucked away in my desk.

Pictured: The currency of my youth.

I have professionally printed college term papers falling apart in some box hidden shadows, never to see the light of day. These two pages however, and scribbled in vibrant blue ink, contain more useful knowledge than most four-credit courses. In the days before the internet (the Dark Ages, if you will) games didn't have online walkthroughs, game-saves or passwords available at one's fingertips. Cheat codes were treasured combinations of letter, numbers, and other symbols that unlocked the secrets of the gods. Or 30 extra lives, same difference.

Hope everyone enjoyed the post, and keep your eyes peeled for another soon!


0 comments:

Post a Comment